Saturday, September 28, 2002

What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy,
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death;
In years that bring the philosophic mind.


Ode on Intimations of Immortality, William Wordsworth

Edit: I had been looking for this quote since Promoguy's Monday Mission a couple Monday's back. I first heard the quote in A River Runs Through It, the movie Robert Redford made from Norman Maclean's wonderful book. The Wordsworth quote isn't in the novella, but as Maclean had approval, I'm sure it was fine to be added to the movie.

Edit 2: Robert Redford has been one of my favorite actors for...well, for many years. We didn't go to many films when I was growing up: Cecil B. DeMille's or Gone With the Wind (seven times, my mother had a thing) or a few Disney were about it for us. It was the hayday of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid and The Way We Were when I first started going to films on my own and I think Redford was kind of imprinted on my brain as "this is what a movie star is". Then, in 1980, he directed Ordinary People based on Judith Guest's debut novel. I had loved the book...it was serialized in Redbook is that mag still around and it made me pay even more attention to Mr. Redford.

All of this is the long way of saying: he's in Susan's area right now, filming. Plus, Susan describes a day without power that sounds super to me! Is my green showing?